On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 10:34:03AM -0700, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

>       Another part of the problem is that the notion of carrier
> detection only apply to some technology (mostly Ethernet). With
> Wireless, there is no notion of carrier. You can somewhat *emulate* it
> using the association, but that work only in Managed mode. If you are
> in Ad-Hoc or Master mode, there is simply *no* way to emulate any
> carrier sense.

Even in Managed mode, this is somewhat limited to plaintext and static
WEP configurations. With IEEE 802.1X and WPA, the situation gets
somewhat more complex. EAPOL frames need to be sent after the
association, but no other data frames are allowed before full
authentication has been completed. I would like to see things like DHCP
client being started (or kicked to actually do something) when the
authentication has been completed, not before that.. The netdev itself
needs to be set UP before authentication, though.