jamal writes:

 > Ok, this makes things more interesting ....
 > What worked for a XEON doesnt work the same way for an opteron.
 >
 > For me, the copybreak (in its capacity as adding extra cycles that make
 > the prefetch look good) made things look good. Also, #125 gave a best
 > answer. None of these were the case from Roberts results.
 >
 > Robert, what about just #1? Maybe thats the best compromise that would
 > work for all.

I've tried that before with flow test and got contribution from #2

0 prefetch 756 kpps
1 prefetch 805 kpps (first)
2 prefetch 821 kpps (first two)
5 prefetch 803 kpps (all)

 > Also, I am really hoping that someone will test with older hardware
 > where i claim to have seen prefetch causing problems.

We give this up for now unless you or somebody else has some very good idea
how handle prefetching in generic way.

I'll use #12 and you'll use #125 Intel uses #12345 etc

Or do we all benefit from #12?

Cheers.
                                        --ro