Stefan Rompf schrieb:
| so, can we agree on this:
|
| a)we want to distinguish between physical devices and virtual devices.
| Physical devices represent a network card, virtual devices a function
based
| on the card (access point, sta, ...). Some cards can handle multiple
| functions parallel, we support it this way.
|
| Caveats:
| -rfmon can affect all virtual devices as Mike pointed out
| -As a matter of fact, virtual devices are not independant eveb without
rfmon,
| simply because one physical device can only tune to one channel at a time
Current devices. What to do when Foo, Inc creates a device with 3 radios
~ that can be used in parallel?

~ > b)we want to replace the wireless extension ioctl()s with netlink so
we have
| the possibility to change multiple config items at once
|
| Questions:
| -what happens to iwpriv?
Drop it. As this discussion targets an in-kernel stack (though it has
yet to be written), kernel rules for APIs should be applied. Keep
backwards compatibility where necessary (meaning: never drop support for
old 80211-messages-over-netlink protocols) but don't hesitate to extend
the API, which would be as easy as incrementing an id field.

| -where are the netlink messages/wireless extensions handled? Should
the device
| driver forward into the stack, or should the stack call into the device
| driver?
IMHO the stack should handle the messages. Each driver should provide a
"80211_ops" table. Also, the stack must be able to do all those
operations in when not provided by the drivers.

| c)which stack to use? Actually, it's intel vs. devicescape. I'm about
to port
| the driver of a popular card to devicescape to get a personal opinion.
Though i'm probably biased, i'd still vote to use the current intel
'stack' together with the emerging softmac module. In my eyes it has a
big upside when compared to devicescape: It's already in the kernel...

Why not use the current ieee80211 device(s) as masterdevices? This way,
we keep compatibility with userspace (at least for some time)

Danny
- --
Danny van Dyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project