On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:58:28 +0100, Stefan Rompf wrote:
> I see a third problem - the in kernel protocols. Just do a quick fgrep -r
> ARPHRD_ over linux/net and you'll see what I mean. While moving away from the
> ethernet emulation, we have to touch a bunch of protocols, even ones we
> possibly cannot test, e.g. decnet. Even though I don't like the ethernet
> emulation hack, I'm not sure if it is worth the pain just to be able to show
> up as a real 802.11 device.

I think this is manageable.

We need real 802.11 devices - all of frames, including management ones,
end up in one queue (in one net_device). And we are not able to do
Ethernet->802.11 conversion then, because we don't know how (and storing
pointer to originating net_device or so in cb is not a solution, as the
device can go away while the frame is queued). Also management frames
with Ethernet headers are a bit hard to imagine.

--
Jiri Benc
SUSE Labs