On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 03:02:25PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 20:57 +0100, Steffen Klassert wrote:
> > Did you give the patch a try?
> >
> > Actually I have no possibility to test, but
> > I think that netif_carrier_{on,off} still does not
> > work proper. The timer function does just nothing
> > if vp->medialock is set.
> >
> Worked for me with 3c905 card in a Dell Latitude C610.  I just c&p'd the
> code into the vortex, so maybe vortex is different than boomerang.
> Anyway, shouldn't the timer be run a bit later after the *_rx()
> function?
>
> Dan

Of course the timer function should run in both cases.
If it works with the boomerang then it should work with vortex too.
I just remember that I had some problems with netif_carrier_ok()
when I tried to use ethtool_op_get_link about a year ago.
Perhaps I'm not up to date and it works in default case.
I think a problem should appear at least
if one forces a certain media type.
I still have a patch in queue to improve usage of netif_carrier_{on,off}
but I had no possibility to test yet, so I did not send.

Steffen