jamal wrote:
On Mon, 2006-16-01 at 05:24 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:

If I say I want n bands, I don't want half of them initialized and
the other half not. That's just confusing.

Thats where we disagree - The kernel should not be making such
decisions. Corrolary: If i wanted to have the blackhole in the 4th queue now i
cant.

Of course you can, just as with the other default qdiscs.

So what's the problem with just
initializing all bands? I think we can assume that if a user says
he wants 6 bands, he really does want them. I don't see what an
artificial dependency on priomap is going to solve.

The priomap says how to map packets to queues.
There is a _dependency_ with the number of queus i.e it is not
artificial.

There is a dependency on the number of queues, not on priomap.
Look at prio_classify:

static struct Qdisc *
prio_classify(struct sk_buff *skb, struct Qdisc *sch, int *qerr)
{
                switch (tc_classify(skb, q->filter_list, &res)) {
                band = res.classid;
        }
        band = TC_H_MIN(band) - 1;
        if (band > q->bands)
                return q->queues[q->prio2band[0]];

        return q->queues[band];
}

So as you can see it is perfectly fine to classify to any band without
even using priomap.