John W. Linville wrote:
On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:58:17AM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:

David Hollis wrote:

I don't know the details of the Atheros chip to
know if it might be possible to generate a firmware that users would
have to install in /lib/firmware and let the driver load it up.  If so,
that would be the answer.

The HAL is not real firmware..just normal kernel code.  I wonder if you
could get around this by using a sort of CPU emulator and/or virtual machine
and load the HAL 'firmware' into that?

<brainstorm>

Any chance the driver could be rearchitected w/ the HAL functionality
moved into a userland helper?  I haven't even looked at the driver
to see if this could be practical...?

</brainstorm>

OpenBSD has an open source HAL, IIRC. You could use that as reference, if nothing else.

There are apparently several variant of the chip, making some level of abstraction useful in this case, not just for hiding hardware details.

        Jeff