Hi,

On 1/31/06, jamal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-31-01 at 16:26 +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 09:19:02PM +0100, Mathieu Geli wrote:
> >
> > > Here is a patch that add a netlink virtual interface.
> >
> > I really like the possibility that it offers.  In fact, I always wanted
> > something like a 'promiscuous netlink socket'.
> >
> > Whether it is the right thing to add a full-blown net_device for it, I
> > don't know.  This really only is a kludge for scapy/ethereal/whatever,
> > since they just expect tu use network interfaces and AF_PACKET sockets.
> >

> Sorry havent paid attention to the patch until now - i did quickly.
> On second thought - a Netdevice is really overkill for this (although i
> have in the past said this could be done by redirecting to a netdevice).
> This should be a "feature" of the socket interface not just netlink imo.

libpcap, tcpdump, ethereal users (application people) -
would prefer some simulated device may be similar to the proposed or tun/tap,
whereas for debugging is enough a 'promiscuous netlink socket'

Unix-domain traffic remains also without a look optin in tcpdump/sniffer.
This forced me once to develop a debugging traffic mode, using
loopback interface.

--
Sincerely,