jamal wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 18:27 +0300, Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:
> > When a netlink message is not related to a netlink socket,
> > it is issued by kernel socket with pid 0. Netlink "pid" has nothing
> > to do with current->pid. I called it incorrectly, if it was named
> > "port", the confusion would be avoided.

This confusion was the main reason I rewrote rtnetlink.7 manpage. I
received 0 comments till now, though ... does it mean it's so good? ;)
Can you, Alexey, comment at least pid part?

http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev%40vger.kernel.org/msg06166.html

> > Jamal, please, review. Did you have reasons to do this?
>
> The reason was driven by some apps such as quagga/zebra which
> get confused when they see pid of 0 for things _they_ added.
> Essentially there was lack of consistency, at times the app that made
> the kernel change has its pid appear on the resulting netlink message
> and at others it was 0 or the large (negative) number when you had
> more than 1 socket within the same process.
>
> CCing Hasso Tepper and more details of the original fix are
> here:
> http://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2005-June/003507.html

No, that was different issue and isn't related with issue Alexey poiting
to. The issue I complained and you fixed it, Jamal, was that IPv6 related
netlink messages had always pid 0 even if they were issued by
application.

What Alexey pointing to is the change you did earlier - set pid in the
messages not related to netlink sockets - ie. changes initiated by user
using ioctls for example.

--
Hasso Tepper