On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:26:01 -0800 (PST)
"David S. Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Stephen Hemminger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:19:42 -0800
>
> > Also, isn't a lot of the problem reduced if network devices
> > are affinitied?
>
> Not for routing/firewalling, we touch the destination device's
> counters on input softing of the source device.

IMHO converting skb->dev to skb->devindex and using ifindex sounds best.
It gets rid of the need to refcount as much but keeps the safety from
buggy protocols.  Ipv6 could probably use ifindex as well.

--
Stephen Hemminger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OSDL http://developer.osdl.org/~shemminger