On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:59:23AM -0500, Benjamin LaHaise ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:56:11PM +0300, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce following projects:
> >
> > 1/2 - Kevent subsystem.
> >     This subsystem incorporates several AIO/kqueue design notes and ideas.
> >     Kevent can be used both for edge and level notifications. It supports
> >     socket notifications (accept and receiving), inode notifications
> >     (create/remove), generic poll()/select() notifications, timer
> >     notifications and network AIO notifications.
>
> What is the justification behind adding yet another notification system?
> We already have AIO, epoll, traditional select/poll.  This seems like a lot
> of new code for no additional functionality.

It is completely different things.
The only common is that they _require_ some kind of notification
mechanism,
but none provide them.
epoll() can not be used for AIO and timers.
AIO can not be used with anything except AIO.
inotify is good, but it  can not be used for anything else.

There were a lot of discussions in the past about combinng all of them
into something similar to FreeBSD kqueue, but nothing was done.

> > 2/2 - Network asynchronous IO. Receiving (TCP) support.
> >     Network AIO is based on kevent and works as usual kevent storage on top
> >     of it. It allows to receive data directly into userspace pages
> >     asynchronously from socket's receiving queue from softirq context.
>
> Is there any reason for not using the existing aio read method?

Current AIO has it's own design which I do not accept completely.
It does not use internal state machines of underlying layers, but instead
repeatedly tries to call nonblocking functions, similar to synchronous
ones.

--
        Evgeniy Polyakov