From: Eric Dumazet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:16:54 +0100

> I had this idea after reading recent Van Jacobson paper about net channels.
>
> I'm surprised you see the benefit of net channels (which first assumption is
> about the 50-100 ns cost of a memory cache miss) but keep this obvious cache
> line ping pong in loopback driver.

Loopback is the wrong thing to optimize.  We have several efficient
mechanisms for local system communications.  If you don't necessarily
need socket semantics, use pipes (named or unnamed), else you can use
AF_UNIX sockets.

Van Jacobson shows a 6X improvement for real over the wire
communications, and you're arguing over a sub-percentile improvement
over loopback.  There is a major difference.

Patches exactly like your's have been proposed before by the SGI folks
in the past, and I'm arguing against it using with the same positions
I held at that time.