On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Tom Herbert <t...@herbertland.com> wrote:

> As I said previously, if alignment really is a factor then we can
> check up front if a buffer crosses a page boundary and call the slow
> path function (original code). I'm seeing a 1 nsec hit to add this
> check.

It shouldn't be a factor, and you shouldn't check for it. My code was
self-aligning, and had at most one unaligned access at the beginnig
(the data of which was then used to align the rest).

Tom had a version that used that. Although now that I look back at it,
it seems to be broken by some confusion about the one-byte alignment
vs 8-byte alignment.

             Linus