Much of the issues raised become redundant due to a much simpler solution
proposed by Pablo. Still two issues left, proc and potential existing bug in sk
filter case.

On March 21, 2016 2:23 PM, Florian Westphal wrote:
> It looks like a bug -- AFAICS if a sk filter is active on the nfnetlink sk we
> will believe sk got queued and will put the (free'd) skb ptr on the reinject
> list.
This issue may still need to be looked at separately.

> Userspace already should get -ENOBUFS errors on netlink overrun.
-ENOBUFS doesn't provide statistics. It does not detect queue limitation. Also
diagnostic needs are many times different than implementation needs. Also many
times user uses NETLINK_NO_ENOBUFS in order to avoid penalty for buffer
overruns (as for example done in a patch to daq_nfq submitted by you here
(http://seclists.org/snort/2011/q2/311) :-) ).

>>  -   seq_printf(s, "%5u %6u %5u %1u %5u %5u %5u %8u %2d\n",
>>  +   seq_printf(s, "%5u %6u %5u %1u %5u %5u %5u %8u %5u %5u %2d\n",
> Problematic since it changes layout of a file we unfortunately have to view
> as uapi.
> I would prefer if we could leave the proc file alone and not add any new
> stats counters for this, unless there is a good argument for doing so.
So my arguments are that there in order to fine tune a system it is required to
know about the existence and number of packets that went under the radar. As I
wrote ENOBUF does not answer all these needs.
I understand it is problematic to change uapi. Tried to minimize
incompatibility by keeping the order of arguments. I'll probably use a patch to
proc any way. Please let me know if you think there is a point in proposing
this patch or is it a "no-no" from kernel's perspective.