On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 19:47:12 -0700 Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My guess we're hitting 14.5Mpps limit for empty bpf program
> and for program that actually looks into the packet because we're
> hitting 10G phy limit of 40G nic. Since physically 40G nic
> consists of four 10G phys. There will be the same problem
> with 100G and 50G nics. Both will be hitting 25G phy limit.
> We need to vary packets somehow. Hopefully Or can explain that
> bit of hw design.
> Jesper's experiments with mlx4 showed the same 14.5Mpps limit
> when sender blasting the same packet over and over again.

That is an interesting observation Alexei, and could explain the pps limit
I hit on 40G, with single flow testing.  AFAIK 40G is 4x 10G PHYs, and
100G is 4x 25G PHYs.

I have a pktgen script that tried to avoid this pitfall.  By creating a
new flow per pktgen kthread. I call it "pktgen_sample05_flow_per_thread.sh"[1]

[1]
https://github.com/netoptimizer/network-testing/blob/master/pktgen/pktgen_sample05_flow_per_thread.sh

--
Best regards,