> netdev experts,
>
> When there is a L2 switch underneath the network interface a flooding of
> multicast at the bridge interface results in one copy of this going through
> each
> of the slave resulting in multiple multicast packets reaching the underlying
> switch.

Yes, this is something Florian, Vivien and i have discussed. We don't
yet see a way around it. Neither the Marvell or Broadcast switches
have a mechanism to say: Send this frame out of this list of
interfaces. All we can do is send it out a single interface. Even if
we could direct a single frame out multiple interfaces, we still have
the problem of how to teach the bridge about this, in a clean and
elegant fashion.

Overall, this seems like a hard problem. Since it is a hard problem,
implementing IGMP snooping first would make sense. Don't forward the
packet out a port unless you know there is somebody interested in it.
The swichdev parts of IGMP snooping are in place, we just need to
continue them down into DSA.

> L2 switch also duplicates the multicast packet on each egress port as done
> in software bridge. This is undesirable as it reduces the available bandwidth
> half when multicast packets are involved.

Once you have a DSA driver, the switch will not do this replication.
So you will gain something there.

     Andrew