On 16-06-18 04:00 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 07:12:22PM CEST, f.faine...@gmail.com wrote:

Yep. And I believe that for offloaded forwarding, this tools should see
hw counters, as they show what is going on in real.

If your NIC is offloading packets today, these tools typically won't see
these stats, but ethtool -S likely will report what is going on under
the hood.

Do we actually need to tell apart SW maintained from HW maintained
stats, or at the end all that matters is just, as DaveM pointed out,
getting the information, and in the case of an Ethernet switch, return
HW stats by default and supplement with SW stats whenever we have them,
all in the same namespace?

In general it is extremely useful for debugging to be able to see them
separately. One API to unify them (and that API being netlink) is
the way to go. I dont know if you can ever obsolete ethtool if lots
of other utils are using it - but would be nice.
It is also useful to just get the sum of them - but user space can
take care of that. David A., whatever user space tools that depended
on ethtool should now be able to retrieve them via netlink, no?

I believe it is valuable for user to know stats for slow path
(non-forwarded by ASIC). Also, it's just another rtnl attr. Easy.

So Jiri, I see:
IFLA_SW_STATS64 should that be: IFLA_HW_STATS_LINK_64?
I think IFLA_STATS_LINK_64 should continue to send s/ware stats.

cheers,
jamal