On Thu, 2016-07-07 at 17:58 +0200, Paolo Abeni wrote:
> GRO is now handled entirely by the udp_offload layer and  there is no need
> for trying it again at the device level. We can drop gro_cell usage,
> simplifying the driver a bit, while maintaining the same performance for
> TCP and improving slightly for UDP.
> This basically reverts the commit 58ce31cca1ff ("vxlan: GRO support
> at tunnel layer")

Note that gro_cells provide GRO support after RPS, so this helps when we
must perform TCP checksum computation, if NIC lacks CHECKSUM_COMPLETE

(Say we receive packets all steered to a single RX queue due to RSS hash
being computed on outer header only)

Some people disable GRO on the physical device, but enable GRO on the
tunnels.