On Mon, 15 May 2006 22:57:12 +1000 Mark Wallis wrote:

> What are peoples thoughts here, should we
>
> A. be handling this within our drivers and doing "what the user expects" and
> disabling the hardware radio, or
>
> B. should we be firing an ACPI event and getting the distro's to add scripts
> so when this event is fired they bring down all the wireless interfaces.

Using ACPI events for this purpose seems wrong:

- ACPI is not available on all architectures supported by Linux,
  therefore it cannot be an universal solution;

- even if ACPI is available, it may be turned off for some reason.

In fact, many people consider the separate /proc/acpi/event interface
for ACPI events to be a mistake, and there is some movement to make ACPI
use the input layer instead:

  http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/4/19/275

There is even a KEY_RADIO defined in <linux/input.h> (however, it was
probably intended to be used for a remote control key, like
TV/VCR/CD/Tape/... defined near it, so I'm not sure whether it would be
the proper event to use here).