Hi Brenden,

I don't quite understand the semantics of the XDP userspace interface.

We allow XDP programs to be (unconditionally) exchanged by another
program, this avoids taking the link down+up and avoids reallocating
RX ring resources (which is great).

We have two XDP samples programs in samples/bpf/ xdp1 and xdp2.  Now I
want to first load xdp1 and then to avoid the linkdown I load xdp2,
and then afterwards remove/stop program xdp1.

This does NOT work, because (in samples/bpf/xdp1_user.c) when xdp1
exits it unconditionally removes the running XDP program (loaded by xdp2)
via set_link_xdp_fd(ifindex, -1).  The xdp2 user program is still
running, and is unaware of its xdp/bpf program have been unloaded.

I find this userspace interface confusing. What this your intention?
Perhaps you can explain what the intended semantics or specification is?

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer