On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 5:00 AM, David Miller <da...@davemloft.net> wrote:
> From: Tariq Toukan <ttoukan.li...@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 10:27:23 +0300
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> On 16/09/2016 2:21 AM, David Miller wrote:
>>> From: Tariq Toukan <tar...@mellanox.com>
>>> Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 16:20:11 +0300

>>> Again, coding style fixes and optimizations like branch prediction
>>> hints are not bug fixes and therefore not appropriate for 'net'.
>> Yes, I know. Please notice that it was submitted to net-next this
>> time.
>
> This is completely incompatible with a request for one of the changes
> to go into -stable.
>
> If the change is not in 'net', it can't go to -stable.

Dave,

So when we're pretty late in the 4.8-rc cycle, a fix for a problem
which was not introduced in 4.8-rc1 was targeted to net-next (4.9) and
not net.

This indeed creates a small mess when the fix needs to go to -stable as well.

I guess the correct thing to do next time, would be to either send to
net and ask you to take it to stable as part of picking the patch --
or send to net-next, and later send you a request to put it to stable
-- or, wait a bit and send it to net of the next kernel along with
stable request... we will pick one of these three way of doings next
(...) time.

So, at this point, I think it would be just correct to take the series
to net-next, and on a future point we'll issue a request to push the
patch into stable.

Or.

Or.