On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 13:55:45 +0200, Thomas Graf wrote:
> > I am looking at using this for ILA router. The problem I am hitting is
> > that not all packets that we need to translate go through the XDP
> > path. Some would go through the kernel path, some through XDP path but
>
> When you say kernel path, what do you mean specifically? One aspect of
> XDP I love is that XDP can act as an acceleration option for existing
> BPF programs attached to cls_bpf. Support for direct packet read and
> write at clsact level have made it straight forward to write programs
> which are compatible or at minimum share a lot of common code. They
> can share data structures, lookup functionality, etc.

My very humble dream was that XDP would be transparently offloaded from
cls_bpf if program was simple enough.  That ship has most likely sailed
because XDP has different abort behaviour.  When possible though, trying
to offload higher-level hooks when the rules don't require access to
full skb would be really cool.