On 16-09-23 01:17 PM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 10:22:59 -0700, Samudrala, Sridhar wrote:

>> The 'accel' parameter in dev_queue_xmit_accel() is currently only passed
>> to ndo_select_queue() via netdev_pick_tx() and is used to select the tx
>> queue.
>> Also, it is not passed all the way to the driver specific xmit routine.
>> Doesn't it require
>> changing all the driver xmit routines if we want to pass this parameter?
>>
>>> Goes without saying that you have a much better understanding of packet
>>> scheduling so please bear with me :)  My target model is that I have
>>> n_cpus x "n_tc/prio" queues on the PF and I want to transmit the
>>> fallback traffic over those same queues.  So no new HW queues are used
>>> for VFRs at all.  This is a reverse of macvlan offload which AFAICT has
>>> "bastard hw queues" which actually TX for a separate software device.
>>>
>>> My understanding was that I can rework this model to have software
>>> queues for VFRs (#sw queues == #PF queues + #VFRs) but no extra HW
>>> queues (#hw queues == #PF queues) but then when the driver sees a
>>> packet on sw-only VFR queue it has to pick one of the PF queues (which
>>> one?), lock PF software queue to own it, and only then can it
>>> transmit.  With the dst_metadata there is no need for extra locking or
>>> queue selection.
>>
>> Yes.  The VFPR netdevs don't have any HW queues associated with them and
>> we would like
>> to use the PF queues for the xmit.
>> I was also looking into some way of passing the port id via skb
>> parameter to the
>> dev_queue_xmit() call so that the PF xmit routine can do a directed
>> transmit to a specifc VF.
>> Is skb->cb an option to pass this info?
>> dst_metadata approach would work  too if it is acceptable.
>
> I don't think we can trust skb->cb to be set to anything meaningful
> when the skb is received by the lower device.

Agreed. I wouldn't recommend using skb->cb. How about passing it through
dev_queue_xmit_accel() through to the driver?

If you pass the metadata through the dev_queue_xmit_accel() handle tx
queue  selection would work using normal mechanisms (xps, select_queue,
cls  hook, etc.). If you wanted to pick some specific queue based on
policy the policy could be loaded into one of those hooks.

.John