On 25/05/06, Patrick McHardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Daniel J Blueman wrote:
> On 25/05/06, Patrick McHardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Daniel, is there an easy way to reproduce the checksum failure?
>
> In short, no. This was seen when packets may have been truncated by
> large MTU (eg 9000) problems in the sky2 driver transmit path.
>
> There is a small chance that this could relate to transmitting with an
> MTU of 9000 (possibly with receiving with an MTU of 1500 too)

Unfortunately I can't test this myself because my other NICs don't
support MTUs > 1500.

> On that interface, the only rules that were being exercised were:
>
> iptables -t filter -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -t filter -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 445 --syn -j ACCEPT # SMB
> iptables -t filter -A INPUT -j DROP

That shouldn't cause any packet modifications. Can you trigger the
checksum failures without netfilter?

When testing, I always run into the "kernel: sky2 lan0: rx error,
status 0x977d977d length 0" problem before anything else.

I need to eliminate the sky2 driver from the equation before I'm able
to prove if there is a problem elsewhere or not. I did have some e1000
NICs, but not any longer, so it'll have to wait until I can find a
stable scenario for my sky2 NIC...
--
Daniel J Blueman