On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Krister Johansen
<k...@templeofstupid.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 11:01:38AM -0700, Cong Wang wrote:
>> Does the attached patch make any sense now? Our pernet init doesn't
>> rely on act_base, so even we have some race, the worst case is after
>> we initialize the pernet netns for an action but its ops still not
>> visible, which seems fine (at least no crash).
>
> I tried to reproduce the panic with this latest patch, but I am unable
> to do so.  The one difference I notice between this patch, and the one I

Nice, so the crash is fixed. I will send out my patch formally.

> sent to the list, is that with yours it takes much longer before we get
> any output from the simultaneous launch of these containers.  Presumably
> that's the extra latency added by allowing many extra modprobe calls to
> get spawned by request_module().

This is a different problem. When we register a pernet ops, the ops->init()
will be called on each container to initialize its pernet data structures,
this is why request_module() blocks on waiting for register_pernet_subsys()
to finish. As we discussed earlier, this could be solved or workaround by
fixed, it should be in register_pernet_subsys(), since it is not specific to
tc actions, we have so many places loading modules at run-time in
networking subsystem.

Thanks for testing!