> Maybe someone could vouch that other checks prevent
> this kind of situation from happening but not me.

No, now that you spell it out (and I see the patch) - this is
absolutely needed because nla_for_each_attr() [1] can be called on
arbitrary data coming from userspace in a message, e.g. by way
of nla_for_each_nested(). Even if it's not malformed, nla_ok() is the
only abort condition for that loop, so it would read at least one
nla_len after the real buffer without that condition.

johannes

[1] which seems to be the only significant user thereof