On 12/12/2016 3:28 PM, Daniel Borkmann wrote:
Hi Shahar,

On 12/12/2016 10:43 AM, Shahar Klein wrote:
Hi All,

sorry for the spam, the first time was sent with html part and was
rejected.

We observed an issue where a classifier instance next member is
pointing back to itself, causing a CPU soft lockup.
We found it by running traffic on many udp connections and then adding
a new flower rule using tc.

We added a quick workaround to verify it:

In tc_classify:

         for (; tp; tp = rcu_dereference_bh(tp->next)) {
                 int err;
+               if (tp == tp->next)
+                     RCU_INIT_POINTER(tp->next, NULL);

We also had a print here showing tp->next is pointing to tp. With this
workaround we are not hitting the issue anymore.
We are not sure we fully understand the mechanism here - with the rtnl
and rcu locks.
We'll appreciate your help solving this issue.

Note that there's still the RCU fix missing for the deletion race that
Cong will still send out, but you say that the only thing you do is to
add a single rule, but no other operation in involved during that test?

Do you have a script and kernel .config for reproducing this?

I'm using a user space socket app(https://github.com/shahar-klein/noodle)on a vm to push udp packets from ~2000 different udp src ports ramping up at ~100 per second towards another vm on the same Hypervisor. Once the traffic starts I'm pushing ingress flower tc udp rules(even_udp_src_port->mirred, odd->drop) on the relevant representor in the Hypervisor.

Thanks,
Daniel