On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Daniel Borkmann <dan...@iogearbox.net> wrote:

> Ok, you mean for net. In that case I prefer the smaller sized fix to be
> honest. It also covers everything from the point where we fetch the chain
> via cops->tcf_chain() to the end of the function, which is where most of
> the complexity resides, and only the two mentioned commits do the relock,

I really wish the problem is only about relocking, but look at the code,
the deeper reason why we have this bug is the complexity of the logic
inside tc_ctl_tfilter(): 1) the replay logic is hard, we have to make it
idempotent; 2) the request logic itself is hard, because of tc filter design
and implementation.

This is why I worry more than just relocking.

> so as a fix I think it's fine as-is. As mentioned, if there's need to
> refactor tc_ctl_tfilter() net-next would be better, imho.

Refactor is a too strong word, just moving the replay out is not a refactor.
The end result will be still smaller than your commit d936377414fadbafb4,
which is already backported to stable.