On 01/26/2017 04:27 AM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
in cases where bpf programs are looking at sockets and packets
that belong to different netns, it could be useful to read netns inode,
so that programs can make intelligent decisions.
For example to disallow raw sockets in all non-init netns the program can do:
if (sk->type == SOCK_RAW && sk->netns_inum != 0xf0000075)
   return 0;
where 0xf0000075 inode comes from /proc/pid/ns/net

Similarly TC cls_bpf/act_bpf and socket filters can do
if (skb->netns_inum == expected_inode)

The lack of netns awareness was a concern even for socket filters,
since the application can attach the same bpf program to sockets
in a different netns. Just like tc cls_bpf program can work in
different netns as well, so it has to be addressed uniformly
across all types of bpf programs.

Sorry for jumping in late, but my question is, isn't this helper
really only relevant for BPF_PROG_TYPE_CGROUP_* typed programs?
Thus other prog types making use of bpf_convert_ctx_access()
should probably reject that in .is_valid_access() callback?

Reason why I'm asking is that for sockets or tc progs, you
already have a netns context where you're attached to, and f.e.
skbs leaving that netns context will be orphaned. Thus, why
would tc or sock filter tailor a program with such a check,
if it can only match/mismatch its own netns inum eventually?
When making this effort to lookup and hardcode the dev/inode
num into the prog, wouldn't it be easier for these types if
the managing app that loads these progs tailors the progs for
a given netns directly, so also such runtime check can generally
be avoided? Am I missing something wrt 'concerns'? The cgroup
ones are global, so there I can see that it could be used in
some way f.e. to restrict access, account, etc.

Thanks,
Daniel