Stefan Rompf wrote:
> Am Dienstag 04 Juli 2006 12:07 schrieb Patrick McHardy:
>

>>>-    new_dev->state = real_dev->state & VLAN_LINK_STATE_MASK;
>>>+    new_dev->state = real_dev->state & ~(1<<__LINK_STATE_START);
>

>>This introduced a regression by propagating the __LINK_STATE_XOFF flag,
>>when the queue of the underlying device is stopped it will be stopped
>>for the VLAN device too and never be woken up. Since you changed
>>VLAN_LINK_STATE_MASK, I assume the intention was to just add
>>__LINK_STATE_DORMANT to the propagated flags and keep using it here?
>

> Hm, I did not hit that bug during tests, even though starfire calls
> netif_stop_queue() on close. But I don't remember whether I tested added
> VLANs while the main interface was ifconfig'ed down.

It hits me whenever I boot with sky2, it seems to need a while before
a carrier is detected.

> Anyway, is it good to propagate __LINK_STATE_PRESENT then? The same situation
> here, add a VLAN while the main interface is "not present", and you are out.
> Can you try to revert the quoted part of my patch, I'll rethink which flags
> should be copied on device creation.

I tried both adding LINK_STATE_XOFF to the negated flags and using
VLAN_LINK_STATE_MASK, both as expected solve the problem for me.
I have to admit I was wondering about LINK_STATE_PRESENT as well
(was going to complain about that too until I noticed it is also
set in VLAN_LINK_STATE_MASK). Maybe Ben can tell us the idea behind
this?