Yeah, seems quite a bit like VLAN (from a workflow perspective, not
quite as much from a protocol one) and I think the same workflow could
work for this too.  Would be nice to eventually get qmi_wwan onto the
same base, if possible (though we'd need to preserve the 802.3
capability somehow for devices that don't support raw-ip).

It doesn't necessarily mean that configuration would need to move to
the IP tool.  I just used it as an example of how VLAN works and how
rmnet could work as well, quite easily with the ip tool.

Since the ip tool is based on netlink, both it and your userspace
library could use the same netlink attributes and families to do the
same thing.

Essentially, I am recommending that instead of your current custom
netlink commands, port them over to rtnetlink which will mean less code
for you, and a more standard kernel interface for everyone.

Thanks for your comments. I'll work on conversion into rtnl_link_ops.

Ethernet frames are supported in pass through mode (though not used often)
but they cannot be used in conjunction with MAP functionality.

Does the aggregation happen at the level of the raw device, or at the
level of the MUX channels?  eg, can I aggregate packets from multiple
MUX channels into the same request, especially on USB devices?

Hardware does allow aggregation of packets from different mux channels in
a single frame.

One use-case is to put different packet data contexts into different
namespaces.  You could then isolate different EPS/PDP contexts by
putting them into different network namespaces, and for example have
your IMS handler only be able to access its own EPS/PDP context.

We could already do this with qmi_wwan on devices that provide multiple
USB endpoints for QMI/rmnet, but I thought the point of the MUX
protocol was to allow a single endpoint for rmnet that can MUX multiple
packet data contexts.  So it would be nice to allow each rmnet netdev
to be placed into a different network namespace.

I need to study more about namespaces since I am not familiar with it.
I'll add support for it in a follow up patchset.

Like a usb gadget rmnet interface for debugging?

Yes, its mostly used for test only.
--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project