Am Dienstag, 11. Juli 2006 23:28 schrieb Stephen Hemminger:

> Untested, but here is the basic idea of how I think up/down should be
> handled.  Basically, rather than changing the flags directly the VLAN code
> should call dev_open/dev_close.  The notifier end's up recursively calling
> but this is okay.

Seems false alarm. I've just tested 2.6.16(-Suse), and new VLAN devices have
been registered as admin down. Same for 2.6.17 as even with my change
__LINK_STATE_START was not transferred.

> -     new_dev->state = real_dev->state & ~(1<<__LINK_STATE_START);

No reason to change this behaviour, we just need to stop messing with
new_dev->state (IMHO too late for 2.6.18, but I've already been wrong ;-)

Stefan