Dan Williams wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, why are _any_ applets
screen-scraping /proc/net/wireless anymore?  If they profess to be a
wireless applet, yet screenscrape /proc/net/wireless, that's suspect
right there.  The ioctls for status are quite well-defined and haven't
changed in a very long time (ie, SIOCGIWRANGE).

On the flip side, /proc/net/wireless has been supported since the dawn
of time (ok, not really) and is the textual interface for reporting
wireless statistic, but maybe that shouldn't be the case anymore.

I finally found the source for the applet, and it is using iwlib to get the statistics. If the kernel's version of WE is really old, it will use /proc/net/wireless. For newer kernels, it is using the appropriate ioctl. When I get time, I will fix the error and submit a patch to KDE.

As an interim workaround, I downloaded and built kwlaninfo, a different KDE kicker applet. I don't like it very much but it does show the needed info.

Larry