Hello everybody,

I am testing eBPF programs on ipv6 and I just find out the tcp_filter() function (previously named sk_filter()) is called both in tcp_v6_rcv() and tcp_v6_do_rcv(). In contrast, it is only called by tcp_v4_rcv() in ipv4 layer. I guess this implementation is used to capture some corner cases in ipv6 ingress route but I cannot find why. Could I know why we need this in two similar places in ipv6 transportation layer?

I have tried to dig into the commit history and the related code path but I did not see any obvious reason for doing so. And my problem with it is when a eBPF program is attached to a socket or a cgroup in ingress side, the filter program will be applied on some packets twice. And it affect the accuracy when using eBPF program for traffic accounting.

Thanks!

Chenbo Feng