On 08/01/2017 04:51 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:

A few adapters (bcmgenet, bcmsysport) support configuring the pause
quanta so it would not be inconceivable to try to update
ethtool_pauseparam to include additional fields such as:

Wouldn't this require a change to the user space tool?

- number of pause frames to send where we define an arbitrary high
default value (e.g: 0xffff), N < 0xffff is something drivers can test
for whether they support it, and 0 is only valid if pause is already
disabled

- pause quanta (16-bits)

Private flags are not usually that great and there could be more
adapters capable of doing the same pause frame number configuration, but
since there is no available knob it's hard to know.

Well, for the EMAC, the quanta in this case would be either 1 or infinite. For other devices, it could be any combination of values. In a future revision of the hardware, we might support a variable quanta. And I suspect that some devices measure the quanta in time, not count.

How would the user know what the acceptable values are? If I set the quanta to 10 via user space, and my driver truncates that to 1, I don't think that would be acceptable.

--
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc. as an affiliate of Qualcomm
Technologies, Inc.  Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. is a member of the