On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Stephen Hemminger
<step...@networkplumber.org> wrote:
> Any of the current qdisc that do rate control are single threaded.
> Since bandwidth is a shared resource, the qdisc has to acquire a lock
> and update cache shared data structures.
>
> Don't expect HTB or HFSC to be free.

This is a well known problem and there have been several attempts to
address it over the years (a long time ago at Google I implemented a
horrible hack called "hold queue" that put a parallelized queue in
front of HTB. This eliminated the lock contention, but not without
side effects).

Now there's a new scheduler proposed by some Googlers called Carousel
that promises scalable host traffic shaping
(https://www.cc.gatech.edu/~amsmti3/files/carousel-sigcomm17.pdf).
Looks like they didn't implement a kernel Qdisc, but might be
interesting for someone to look into...

Tom