For 3945 a lot of functionalities were moved to the driver level, what kept in the firmware is basically some timely related functions like beacon in IBSS mode but the beacon frame is provided by the driver and the firmware is responsible to send it according to the timing constrains. Also scanning was left in the firmware. We don’t do and authentication or association frame in the firmware and we use d80211 to do this. We just needed to know once we associated to inform the firmware we are associated now. I just want to say d80211 was very flexible and easy to work with, the porting process was smooth and we only faces these problems with a working workaround and I thought we can even make d80211 more flexible to cater more varieties of cards. For ipw2[2/1]00 we did a gap analysis and we found it is hard to port it to use d80211 because of what mentioned below. I hope to post 3945 with d80211 code sometime next week so we can have the code available for our discussion.

Thanks
Mohamed