Hannes Frederic Sowa <han...@stressinduktion.org> writes:

> The user should be aware of that they can't migrate the socket to another
> interface if they got hw offloaded. This is not the case for software offload.
> Thus I think the user has to opt in and it shouldn't be a heuristic until we
> can
> switch back to sw offload path.
>
> Maybe change flowi_oif to sk_bound_dev_if and somwhow lock it against
> further changes if hw tls is in use?

I'm not sure I follow.
We do set sk->sk_bound_dev_if to prevent further changes.

Do you recommend we enable TLS offload only if SO_BINDTODEVICE
was previously used on that socket?
and prevent even users with CAP_NET_RAW from unbinding it?

I would rather avoid requiring CAP_NET_RAW to use TLS offload.
But admittedly I'm not sure setting sk->sk_bound_dev_if
without CAP_NET_RAW like we do is legit either.

Finally, the reason we made HW offload the default is that the user
can use sudo ethtool -K enp0s4 tls-hw-tx-offload off to opt out of HW offload
and we currently don't have anything equivalent for opting out of SW KTLS.

Thanks,
Ilya