Hello!

> The netlink header pid is really akin to sadb_msg_pid from RFC 2367.
> IMHO it should always be zero if the kernel is the originator of the
> message.

No. Analogue of sadb_msg_pid is nladdr.nl_pid.

Netlink header pid is not originator of the message, but author of
the change. The notion is ambiguous by definition, and the field
is a little ambiguous.

If the message is a plain ack or part of a dump, it is obviously
pid of requestor. But if it is notification about change, it can be
nl_pid of socket, which requested the operation, but may be 0.
Of course, all the 0s sent only because I was lazy to track authorship,
should be eliminated.

Alexey