On 10/12/2017 02:31 PM, Wei Xu wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 04:07:45PM -0400, Matthew Rosato wrote:
>>
>> Ping...  Jason, any other ideas or suggestions?
>
> Hi Matthew,
> Recently I am doing similar test on x86 for this patch, here are some,
> differences between our testbeds.
>
> 1. It is nice you have got improvement with 50+ instances(or connections
> here?)
> which would be quite helpful to address the issue, also you've figured out the
> cost(wait/wakeup), kindly reminder did you pin uperf client/server along the
> whole
> path besides vhost and vcpu threads?

Was not previously doing any pinning whatsoever, just reproducing an
environment that one of our testers here was running.  Reducing guest
vcpu count from 4->1, still see the regression.  Then, pinned each vcpu
thread and vhost thread to a separate host CPU -- still made no
difference (regression still present).

> 2. It might be useful to short the traffic path as a reference, What I am
> running
> is briefly like:
>     pktgen(host kernel) -> tap(x) -> guest(DPDK testpmd)
>
> The bridge driver(br_forward(), etc) might impact performance due to my
> personal
> experience, so eventually I settled down with this simplified testbed which
> fully
> isolates the traffic from both userspace and host kernel stack(1 and 50
> instances,
> bridge driver, etc), therefore reduces potential interferences.
>
> The down side of this is that it needs DPDK support in guest, has this ever be
> run on s390x guest? An alternative approach is to directly run XDP drop on
> virtio-net nic in guest, while this requires compiling XDP inside guest which
> needs
> a newer distro(Fedora 25+ in my case or Ubuntu 16.10, not sure).

I made an attempt at DPDK, but it has not been run on s390x as far as
I'm aware and didn't seem trivial to get working.

So instead I took your alternate suggestion & did:
pktgen(host) -> tap(x) -> guest(xdp_drop)

When running this setup, I am not able to reproduce the regression.  As
mentioned previously, I am also unable to reproduce when running one end
of the uperf connection from the host - I have only ever been able to
reproduce when both ends of the uperf connection are running within a guest.

> 3. BTW, did you enable hugepage for your guest? It would  performance more
> or less depends on the memory demand when generating traffic, I didn't see
> similar command lines in yours.

s390x does not currently support passing through hugetlb backing via
QEMU mem-path.