Brandeburg, Jesse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Kok, Auke-jan H wrote:
>> Auke Kok wrote:

[...]
>Has something to do with the RTNL lock being held and link notification,
>as I remember.
>We noticed it to be a global problem, happens with e100 too.
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg01654.html

        Well, I thought maybe I'd messed it up when I tested the other
cards, but I just went and tried it again.  Only the e1000 wedges the
system if I pull the cable with ethtool -p running.  The e100 and tg3
don't lock up.  Pulling the cable ends the ethtool for tg3, but for e100
the blinky blinky keeps going even after the cable is back in.

        Even so, as you mention, the operation is holding the RTNL, so
anything else that wants it has to wait.

        -J

---
        -Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, [EMAIL PROTECTED]