On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 09:35:47 +0000
Mel Gorman <mgor...@techsingularity.net> wrote:

> > > There is almost new in the data that hasn't been discussed before. The
> > > suggestion to free on a remote per-cpu list would be expensive as it would
> > > require per-cpu lists to have a lock for safe remote access.
> >
> > That's right, but each such lock will be significantly less congested than
> > the buddy allocator lock.
>
> That is not necessarily true if all the allocations and frees always happen
> on the same CPUs. The contention will be equivalent to the zone lock.
> Your point will only hold true if there are also heavy allocation streams
> from other CPUs that are unrelated.
>
> > In the flow in subject two cores need to
> > synchronize (one allocates, one frees).
> > We also need to evaluate the cost of acquiring and releasing the lock in the
> > case of no congestion at all.
> >

> If the per-cpu structures have a lock, there will be a light amount of
> overhead. Nothing too severe, but it shouldn't be done lightly either.
>
> > >  However,
> > > I'd be curious if you could test the mm-pagealloc-irqpvec-v1r4 branch
> > > ttps://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mel/linux.git .  It's an
> > > unfinished prototype I worked on a few weeks ago. I was going to revisit
> > > in about a months time when 4.15-rc1 was out. I'd be interested in seeing
> > > if it has a postive gain in normal page allocations without destroying
> > > the performance of interrupt and softirq allocation contexts. The
> > > interrupt/softirq context testing is crucial as that is something that
> > > hurt us before when trying to improve page allocator performance.
> > >
> > Yes, I will test that once I get back in office (after netdev conference and
> > vacation).
>
> Thanks.

I'll also commit to testing this (when I return home, as Tariq I'm also
in Seoul ATM).

> > Can you please elaborate in a few words about the idea behind the prototype?
> > Does it address page-allocator scalability issues, or only the rate of
> > single core page allocations?
>
> Short answer -- maybe. All scalability issues or rates of allocation are
> context and workload dependant so the question is impossible to answer
> for the general case.
>
> Broadly speaking, the patch reintroduces the per-cpu lists being for !irq
> context allocations again. The last time we did this, hard and soft IRQ
> allocations went through the buddy allocator which couldn't scale and
> the patch was reverted. With this patch, it goes through a very large
> pagevec-like structure that is protected by a lock but the fast paths
> for alloc/free are extremely simple operations so the lock hold times are
> very small. Potentially, a development path is that the current per-cpu
> allocator is replaced with pagevec-like structures that are dynamically
> allocated which would also allow pages to be freed to remote CPU lists

I've had huge success using ptr_ring, as a queue between CPUs, to
minimize cross-CPU cache-line touching.  With the recently accepted BPF
map called "cpumap" used for XDP_REDIRECT.

It's important to handle the two borderline cases in ptr_ring, of the
queue being almost full (default handled in ptr_ring) or almost empty.
Like describe in[1] slide 14:

[1]
http://people.netfilter.org/hawk/presentations/NetConf2017_Seoul/XDP_devel_update_NetConf2017_Seoul.pdf

The use of XDP_REDIRECT + cpumap, do expose issues with the page
allocator.  E.g. slide 19 show ixgbe recycle scheme failing, but still
hitting the PCP.  Also notice slide 22 deducing the overhead.  Scale
stressing ptr_ring is showed in extra slides 35-39.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer