> Actually, we started out with that approach, where the packet_mmap
> call mapped Tx/Rx descriptor rings and the packet buffer region. We
> later moved to this (register umem) approach, because it's more
> flexible for user space, not having to use a AF_PACKET specific
> allocator (i.e. continue to use regular mallocs, huge pages and such).

One quick question:
Any thoughts on SVM support?
Is SVM support going to be so disruptive that we will need to churn a tp_v5?

If not then to accommodate future SVM enablement do you think it might
make sense to add/stuff a control-info union in the tp4_queue (or umem
etc). And then in the future, I think setmemreg (or something else)
would need to pass the PASID in addition to the malloc'd addr.
Assumption here is that the user-app will bind PID<->PASID before
invoking the AF_ZC setup.

> Björn

Chetan