On Thu, 1970-01-01 at 00:00 +0000, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
> links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the
> content is safe.
>

> > > commit 4d8ee1935bcd666360311dfdadeee235d682d69a
> > > Author: Florian Fainelli <f.faine...@gmail.com>
> > > Date: Tue Aug 22 15:24:47 2017 -0700
> > > fsl/man: Inherit parent device and of_node
> > >
> > > and was later addressed by this patch set:
> > >
> > > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/list/?series=8462&state=*
> > >
> > > Even with these errors printed, all is working fine, it's just the
> > > second probing that fails. Adding the latter patches or reverting
> > > the one above makes the errors prints dissapear.
> >
> > Looking at the above patch seriers I see it is in state Accepted and has
> > been there
> > since 2017-10-16
> > That seems like a awful long to wait in before getting into Linux, is there
> > something
> > holding these patches back ?
>
> They are in Linux, have been since October 16th. But at the moment,
> they are only in v4.15, not v4.14.

Now I see them in 4.15, must have looked in the wrong branch.

> These patches probably don't fit the stable rules, for getting them
> added to v4.14.
>
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/process/stable-kernel-rules.rst

Stuff needs to work, whatever needed to make that happen is allowed. Even
backporting
some new infra structure if need be to simplify fixing bugs.

> What is needed is a minimal fix. Or just wait until Sunday, when there
> is a good chance v4.15 will be released.

You seem to think everyone always upgrade to linux latest but this is not so.
We do product development here and appreciate the stable kernels so we can work
in
peace and not chasing the latest kernel.

 Jocke