On Saturday 02 September 2006 00:10, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 08:55:48PM +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
> >
> > >   Note that one thing that worry me with your approach is
> > > footprint. I've used various embedded devices over the years, such as
> > > the Gumstix (4MB Flash), and this is why WE was optimised for
> > > footprint.
> >
> > Can you please explain in more detail, how WE + the WE-netlink wrapper
> > has lower footprint than this netlink-only layer?
>
>       WE-netlink is optional. And WE-ioctl could be made optional
> (still on the todo list). You can also disable WE-event and WE-iwspy
> for further footprint reduction.

And we don't need all this stuff on these devices? OK, nl80211
can easily be made optional, too.

> > >   I don't understand why you say it's ill defined, it 100%
> > > documented in the iwconfig man page.
> >
> > It is horribly documented.
> > There is one big union and one magic "extra" parameter.
> > You have to guess (or look at other implementations) to find
> > out which element of the union or even if and how to use the extra
> > parameter. That's a real pain.
> > And after you found out which element to use, you have to figure
> > out somehow how to actually use that element. That's nontrivial,
> > escpecially because some flags (that are not documented) may
> > magically change the whole semantics of the contents.
>
>       If you are trying to write WE without reading any other code,
> that's true. But that's not the way sane people work. Sane people
> cut'n'paste from other drivers, and then check the source code of
> iwconfig (which is fully commented) in case of doubt.
>       It's strange, many driver authors are not afraid of asking me
> questions, but some can't manage to do that.

Heh, well. I would say sane code should not raise the questions
in the first place.

> > In my opinion this
> > "One function signature fits all" design used in WE is simply
> > broken by design.
>
>       So, are you saying that the 'syscal' design is broken by
> nature ? I've never seen the kernel and glibc people complaining about
> it.

?? All syscalls have the same function signature? I doubt that.

>       It was designed this way on purpose, because you get low
> footprint and very good scalability. And I've yet to see anyone
> tripped by it.

I don't see how this is lower footprint.
A function pointer is always the same size. Regardless of how
the function looks like.

--
Greetings Michael.

--