To: "Gary Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 1:00 AM
Subject: Re: Linux UDP Implementation

Gary Chan wrote:
According to the function call udp_sendmsg() in the source file net/ipv4/udp.c (Linux Kernel 2.6.17.11), when an error value is returned from the function ip_append_data() due to local device congestion, say interface queue overflow, pending packets in the queue sk->sk_write_queue are simply flushed (udp_flush_pending_frames() is invoked) without caching for future retransmission.

I called a network API function sendto() to transmit UDP packets in a blocking I/O mode at a rate of 100Mbps over the 802.11b wireless ad hoc network, the network was overloaded as the maximum transfer rate for 802.11b was just 11Mbps. Therefore, the outgoing interface queue must be full and UDP packets will be dropped eventually. However, I checked that there was no packet loss at the receiver side, i.e. the number of packets sent from the sender is equal to that received.

It seems that the implementation (at code level) does not match with the actual behaviour. I would like to seek expertise on clarifying my understanding in UDP implementation so that this phenomenon can be explained.

Perhaps you are seeing a difference in the behaviour of blocking vs non-blocking sockets?

rick jones

--
VGER BF report: U 0.5