Dmitry Mishin wrote:
On Friday 08 September 2006 22:11, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

actually the light-weight ip isolation runs perfectly
fine _without_ CAP_NET_ADMIN, as you do not want the
guest to be able to mess with the 'configured' ips at
all (not to speak of interfaces here)

It was only an example. I'm thinking about how to implement flexible solution, which permits light-weight ip isolation as well as full-fledged netwrok virtualization. Another solution is to split CONFIG_NET_NAMESPACE. Is it good for you?

Hi Dmitry,

I am currently working on this and I am finishing a prototype bringing isolation at the ip layer. The prototype code is very closed to Andrey's patches at TCP/UDP level. So the next step is to merge the prototype code with the existing network namespace layer 2 isolation.

IHMO, the solution of spliting CONFIG_NET_NS into CONFIG_L2_NET_NS and CONFIG_L3_NET_NS is for me not acceptable because you will need to recompile the kernel. The proper way is certainly to have a specific flag for the unshare, something like CLONE_NEW_L2_NET and CLONE_NEW_L3_NET for example.

  -- Daniel