On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:43:57AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

> > But there are bits left and right, so
> > more inspection of drivers would be needed. For example, wavelan and
> > netwave are using encryption key sizes which are not compatible with
> > 802.11.
>
> Hmm, interesting. Will need to think about that for a bit. The whole key
> management stuff is fairly hairy, even more so in wpa/wpa2.

        I was initially very negative towards the WPA API (WPA +
extended scan), because it's so complex. I went back and forth with
Jouni trying to simplify it, but we did not manage to gain much. I
trust that Jouni did the best he could, that's just the nature of the
beast.

        I was thinking of the WE -> nl80211 compatibility. It's pretty
trivial to do as far as WE is concerned, you just need to hack
get_handler() to return the nl80211 handler. Or, if you don't like a
single handler, you could have one wrapper per ioctl, which is even
easier.
        Do you have a recent version of your code so that I can see
how it can hook on your side ? I think we could put the generic
mechanism in place early so that people can add specifics as they need
them.

> johannes

        Have fun...

        Jean