> On Mar 12, 2018, at 3:47 PM, Song Liu <songliubrav...@fb.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I have CONFIG_DEBUG_ATOMIC_SLEEP=y.
>>>
>>> I think find_get_page() will not sleep. The variation find_get_page_flags()
>>> may sleep with flag FGP_CREAT.
>>
>> I see. gfp_mask == 0 and no locks. should work indeed.
>> curious how perf report looks like for heavy bpf_get_stackid() usage?
>
> I modified samples/bpf/sampleip to only call bpf_get_stackid(). The following
> is captured with bpf_get_stackid() called at 10k Hz. stressapptest is running
> with 16 threads on a system with 56 cores.
>

> Samples: 1M of event 'cycles:pp', Event count (approx.): 628092326243
>  Overhead  Command          Shared Object                 Symbol
> +   51.61%  stressapptest    stressapptest                 [.] AdlerMemcpyC
>
> -   20.82%  stressapptest    [kernel.vmlinux]              [k]
> queued_spin_lock_slowpath
>   - queued_spin_lock_slowpath
>
>      - 20.80% pcpu_freelist_pop
>
>           bpf_get_stackid
>
>           bpf_get_stackid_tp
>
>         - 0x590c
>
>              16.12% AdlerMemcpyC
>
>              4.50% OsLayer::CpuStressWorkload
>
> +   14.36%  stressapptest    stressapptest                 [.]
> OsLayer::CpuStressWorkload
> -    8.74%  stressapptest    [kernel.vmlinux]              [k] _raw_spin_lock
>
>   - _raw_spin_lock
>
>      - 8.73% bpf_get_stackid
>
>           bpf_get_stackid_tp
>
>         + 0x590c
>
> -    0.67%  stressapptest    [kernel.vmlinux]              [k]
> pcpu_freelist_pop
>   - pcpu_freelist_pop
>
>      - 0.67% bpf_get_stackid
>
>           bpf_get_stackid_tp
>
>         + 0x590c
>
> Seems lock contention is the dominating overhead here. This should be the same
> for original stackmap.
>
> Song

Samples: 172K of event 'cycles:pp', Event count (approx.): 102311012653
Overhead  Command        Shared Object     Symbol

  78.84%  stressapptest  stressapptest     [.] AdlerMemcpyC

   8.78%  stressapptest  stressapptest     [.] OsLayer::CpuStressWorkload

   3.14%  stressapptest  [kernel.vmlinux]  [k] _raw_spin_lock

   2.56%  stressapptest  stressapptest     [.] WorkerThread::FillPage

   0.45%  stressapptest  [kernel.vmlinux]  [k] perf_callchain_user

   0.37%  stressapptest  [kernel.vmlinux]  [.] native_irq_return_iret

   0.31%  stressapptest  [kernel.vmlinux]  [k] clear_page_erms

   0.29%  stressapptest  [kernel.vmlinux]  [k] pcpu_freelist_pop

   0.27%  stressapptest  stressapptest     [.] CalculateAdlerChecksum

   0.25%  stressapptest  [kernel.vmlinux]  [k] bpf_get_stackid

   0.22%  swapper        [kernel.vmlinux]  [k] poll_idle

This perf output is taken with stressapptest running on 4 cores.
bpf_get_stackid() and pcps_free_list_pop combined about 0.54% of CPU.

Song