On 03/15/2018 11:20 PM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:17:12PM +0100, Daniel Borkmann wrote:

>>> do we really need new enum here?
>>> It's the same as 'enum sk_action' and SK_DROP == SK_MSG_DROP
>>> and there will be only drop/pass in both enums.
>>> Also I don't see where these two new SK_MSG_* are used...

>>> I think it's time for me to ask for forgiveness :)
>>
>> :-)
>>
>>> I used __u32 for data and data_end only because all other fields
>>> in __sk_buff were __u32 at the time and I couldn't easily figure out
>>> how to teach verifier to recognize 8-byte rewrites.
>>> Unfortunately my mistake stuck and was copied over into xdp.
>>> Since this is new struct let's do it right and add
>>> 'void *data, *data_end' here,
>>> since bpf prog will use them as 'void *' pointers.
>>> There are no compat issues here, since bpf is always 64-bit.
>>
>> But at least offset-wise when you do the ctx rewrite this would then
>> be a bit more tricky when you have 64 bit kernel with 32 bit user
>> space since void * members are in each cases at different offset. So
>> unless I'm missing something, this still should either be __u32 or
>> __u64 instead of void *, no?
>
> there is no 32-bit user space. these structs are seen by bpf progs only
> and bpf is 64-bit only too.
> unless I'm missing your point.

Ok, so lets say you have 32 bit LLVM binary and compile the prog where
you access md->data_end. Given the void * in the struct will that access
end up being BPF_W at ctx offset 4 or BPF_DW at ctx offset 8 from clang
perspective (iow, is the back end treating this special and always use
fixed BPF_DW in such case)? If not and it would be the first case with
offset 4, then we could have the case that underlying 64 bit kernel is
expecting ctx offset 8 for doing the md ctx conversion.